The first courthouse in Yorktown was built on this site in 1696. Since then there have been 4 additional courthouses occupy this space. The current building was built in 1955 and called Circuit Courthouse. York Hall as it is now called also has displays of local artisans, a gift gallery and in the lower level is the York County Historical Museum.
A new 64,000 sq. ft. courhouse (York-Poquoson Courthouse) was built in 1997 and is located at 300 Ballard Street.
The 1818 courthouse (shown above in 1862) met its demise in 1863 when an explosion completely destroyed the building. It is believed that the stockpile of munitions and arms was the cause, but why they suddenly exploded remained a myster.
The above detail image of the courthouse clearly shows the munitions stacked on the front portico.